Pierce College is committed to the health and safety of its students and employees. As such, Pierce College’s Student Conduct Code expressly prohibits sexual misconduct by members of the college community. As part of our mission to provide access to all who abide by our requirements, registered sex offenders may be present in the college community. We are committed to providing timely and appropriate notification of registered sex offenders present. We know that this type of notification may cause concern or questions for individuals. Please see below for more information and resources.
The purpose of the sex offender notification process is to respond to the enrollment or presence of a registered sex offender without creating excessive anxiety among the Pierce community and without causing undue disruption to the college environment. Notification to the campus community will be made pursuant to RCW 4.24.550.
Using this information to threaten, intimidate or harass any member of the Pierce College community will not be accepted.
Sex Offender Risk Classification
Adult and juvenile offenders are assigned risk level classification by the Department of Corrections for purposes of community notification. Sex offender levels are determined by taking into account several factors about the offender and the nature of their crime in order to determine possible risks to the community at large.
- Level 1 (low risk to reoffend) – Offender name and risk level will be on file in the Campus Safety Office
- Level 2 (moderate risk to reoffend) – Offender name and risk level will be on file in the Campus Safety Office, faculty teaching classes in which the offender is enrolled will be notified, and Early Childhood Education programs and child development centers will be notified.
- Level 3 (high risk to reoffend) – Offender name and risk level will be on file in the Campus Safety Office, faculty teaching classes in which the offender is enrolled will be notified, Early Childhood Education programs and child development centers will be notified, and college employees and students will be notified.
Current Level III Sex Offender(s) on Campus
During Winter 2023, the following student(s) are enrolled at Pierce College:
Sex Offender Requirements
- Registered sex offenders who are enrolling at Pierce College must notify the college and meet with the Associate Dean, Student Conduct prior to enrolling or attending any class or activity.
- Registered sex offenders are responsible for upholding the Pierce College Student Conduct Code.
Impact of Sex Offender Notification
Pierce College understands that individuals may respond in many different ways after receiving sex offender notifications. It can be normal to feel worried and/or triggered about a sex offender being a part of your community. While the notification is necessary to provide, we also want to ensure any negative impact about notifications can be honored and supported with appropriate resources. If you are a student who is impacted by a sex offender notification, you are encouraged to reach out to counseling or community resources. If you are an employee who is impacted by a sex offender notification, you are encouraged to access the Employee Assistance Program.
More information regarding sex offenders is available from the Pierce College Campus Safety Department.
Additional resources include: