What Is Running Start?

Running Start is a statewide college program for academically qualified juniors and senior high school students to enroll in courses to fulfill high school graduation requirements and earn college credit. Students may enroll simultaneously in high school and college classes, or solely in college classes. College tuition for eligible classes is covered through Running Start. 
Running Start is available fall, winter and spring term. There will be funding for Summer Term 2024. Please contact your high school counselor for details.

Summer Running Start Eligibility Summary Chart (PDF) 

High school graduation requirements are established by each school district. Students should check with their high school counselor to confirm the courses and number of credits required in order to graduate.

Most Running Start Students are responsible for books and fees. See the Running Start FAQs for more information.

Running Start Summer and Fall 2024 Checklist

Review these four important steps and set yourself up for success!

1. Submit Your Enrollment Verification Form (EVF)

All sections must be completed by you and your high school counselor. Leaving any section blank will delay the processing of your EVF. Your complete EVF must include:

  • Your signature
  • High school counselor signature
  • Parent/Guardian signature

You will need to submit a separate completed and signed EVF in Canvas for each term you plan to attend. EVFs will not be accepted and processed in any other way. After submitting, be sure to check back for the status of your submission. If it is marked as "complete", you are done. If it is marked as "incomplete", please read the notes about what needs to be corrected for a re-submission.

We want to remind all Running Start students, regardless of where the course is offered, if you enroll in more credits than approved on your EVF, you will be responsible for the additional tuition and fees.

Summer 2024 EVF Process

All Running Start students, including Puyallup School District, must submit an EVF for summer quarter.

Fall 2024 EVF Process – Students not in Puyallup School District

Running Start students who are not in the Puyallup School District must submit an EVF for fall quarter.

Fall 2024 Process – Students in Puyallup School District

If you are a Running Start student who attends high school in the Puyallup School District (Puyallup HS, Rogers HS, Emerald Ridge HS, Walker HS, Puyallup Digital Learning, Homeschool), you do not need to submit an EVF for fall term. Your enrollment information is instead provided to us by your high school counselor. Please ensure that you have spoken with your high school counselor to complete your Graduation Requirement Worksheet and plan your participation in Running Start with Pierce College. Puyallup School District students must submit your Graduation Requirement Worksheet at PuyAdvise@pierce.ctc.edu.

2. Meet With Your College Success Coach/Advisor

Make sure you are on track toward your academic goals. Meet with your advisor. If you need a reminder about who your advisor is, use Starfish and look in your Success Network. You can also look up your advisor in ctcLink. We are here to support you!

3. Frequently Check ctcLink for Important Messages!

You will receive many important messages in your ctcLink Message Center. Please read these! Messages include:

  • Check your tuition/fee balance in ctcLink! It shows any balance owed. If you have questions about your balance, please visit the Cashiering page for contact information for cashiering.
  • Possible drops from classes.
  • Events happening on campus.

4. Possible Financial Assistance for Fees and Books

Running Start financial assistance for fees and books may be available. Students who are foster youth, who qualify for free or reduced price lunch, and/or who receive state-funded public assistance may be eligible. Students approved for the fee waiver can have quarterly student fees (fall, winter and spring) and some course fees waived. In addition, approved students are eligible for our Running Start Book Loan program. See the Running Start Student Fee Waiver Application for more information.

The Running Start book loan program is available for students who are eligible to receive the Running Start Fee Waiver. If you have been approved for the Running Start Fee Waiver, directions for requesting books are available in the Running Start Book Loan Instructions.

  • Summer Term 2024: Running Start book loans for summer term open June 10, 2024 and close on July 12, 2024
  • Fall Term 2024: Running Start book loans for summer term open September 2, 2024 and close on October 24, 2024