Pierce College is a nationally recognized Military Friendly School. We offer or accept multiple options to starting or continuing your education. Please review the options below to learn more about available financial and educational options.
- Military Tuition Assistance
- My Career and Advancement Account (MyCAA) - for spouses
- Financial Aid
- Veterans Educational Benefits
- Workforce Funding and Other Veteran Resources
- Installment Plans
- Alternative Education
Military Tuition Assistance
Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services.
- Connect with your local education center to learn about Tuition Assistance (TA), set up your ArmyIgnitEd account, and build your Education Path. For the education center at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, please call 253-967-7174.
- Thank you for choosing Pierce College at JBLM! Next, follow the Get Started steps to enroll. Your Army education counselor will approve your Education Path before it comes back to Pierce College.
- Go to the Pierce College Registration Page to register for your classes, and use the Simple Pay app to let us know you will be using TA.
- Go back into your ArmyIgnitEd account to approve TA for your classes.
Each Service has their own process and website/portal, but using TA generally starts with contacting your Service’s education center. We support students from all Services and will gladly assist you! Please contact us at 253-964-6567.
To begin your education at Pierce College at JBLM, follow the Get Started steps to enroll. Once you have an approved degree plan in your Service’s TA system, you can go to the Pierce College Registration Page to register for your classes. Please use the Simple Pay app to let us know you will be using TA.
My Career and Advancement Account (MyCAA)
The MyCAA portal is currently unavailable.
Military spouses will need to work with a MyCAA representative to:
- Set up MyCAA account
- Select your home school
- Submit degree plan to MyCAA representative for approval (Please visit with a Pierce College advisor to request an education and training plan)
- Request voucher for approved courses
All other services should work with an educational counselor for initial funding setup and TA approval.
Pierce College Foundation
The Pierce College Foundation awards additional grants and scholarships every year to currently enrolled Pierce College students. For more information and to learn how to apply, visit the Foundation Scholarships web page.
Pierce College Military Affiliated Scholarships
Pierce College offers several scholarships for military members and their families. For more information, visit the Scholarships web page.
Horst and Carol Marschall Scholarship
This scholarship is for active duty members (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard and active duty Reserves) and family members enrolled in a class at Pierce College during the quarter applying.
Jennifer Jamison Textbook Scholarship
The Jennifer Jamison Textbook Scholarship provides $204 for textbooks for military-affiliated students at Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Application is open to veterans, active duty military personnel and their family members, with preference going to those who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan. Qualified applicants must be enrolled in at least 10 credits at Pierce College and have a minimum 3.3 GPA at the time of application. Funds will be made available to winners for winter quarter and spring quarter.
Scholarships From Other Organizations
The community scholarships below are not affiliated with Pierce College and are posted here as a resource for students seeking additional funding. If you have any questions about these scholarships, please follow the links to visit the corresponding websites. Pierce College and Pierce College Financial Aid staff do not have any additional information regarding these scholarships.
For Dependents (Spouses and Children)
- Armed Forces Communications & Electronics Association (AFCEA)
- Pat Tillman Education Scholarship
- JBLM Family Member Scholarship Fund
- The National Military Family Association’s Spouse Scholarships
- Army Emergency Relief
- FINRA Foundation Military Spouse Fellowship Program
- The Daughters of the Cincinnati Scholarship Fund
Find a Scholarship
Veterans Educational Benefits
Service members may choose to activate their GI Bill® while still on active duty.
Active Duty Service Members who qualify for and receive GI Bill benefits will have:
- Tuition and fees paid directly to Pierce College
Note: Dependent upon length of time in service and specific GI Bill program
- Book and supply stipend not to exceed $1,000 per academic year, paid per credit up to 24 credits during the year (1 August – 31 July)
The level of eligibility for Veterans Benefits is based on timeframe and length of service. There are different Veterans Education Benefit programs available to active duty service members. For more information, eligibility requirements and benefits, visit the Veterans Administration (VA) website.
If you want to activate your GI Bill benefits, follow these steps:
- Apply for benefits through the Veterans Administration (VA).
- See your advisor and choose your classes.
- Visit the Veterans Benefits Office at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom (Lakewood) or Puyallup to complete the required institutional certification paperwork.
- Bring your certificate of eligibility from the VA.
Note: During this TA Suspension period and to expedite the process, active duty service members may provide proof of Veterans Benefits application in lieu of the Certificate of Eligibility. However, a Tuition Installment Plan (TIP) or Fee Installment Plan (FIP) agreement will be required at the time of registration since level of eligibility will be unknown until the VA processes the application. This means you will be responsible for all course fees/tuition included in the TIP or FIP if Veterans Benefits do not cover those costs.
- Register for Classes. Complete your Registration form and submit it to Pierce College at JBLM, along with your voucher for classes at JBLM. If you want to take classes at Fort Steilacoom or Puyallup, you register at that location and do not need the voucher.
Please note: If this option is exercised, any benefits received while on active duty will count against the lifetime allowance (entitlement) for GI Bill benefits. In addition, active duty service members are not eligible for the VA Monthly Housing Allowance because they already receive this benefit through their active duty service.
Fee Installment Plan (FIP)
The Fee Installment Plan (FIP) is designed to give you flexibility in meeting your financial obligation to Pierce College at JBLM. It makes college more financially accessible to students by allowing them to pay their course fees in up to three payments rather than all at once. The payments are reduced to two payments when you start course(s) close to the second payment due date. There is a $25.00 non-refundable enrollment fee due when you sign-up for the plan. A $30 charge is assessed for any late payments.
For more information on FIP, please contact us at 253-964-6606 and request to speak with a member of our fiscal team.
Tuition Installment Plan (TIP)
The Tuition Installment Plan (TIP) is the same as the FIP explained above, except that it is used to meet financial obligations for courses taken on the Pierce College campuses at Fort Steilacoom (Lakewood) or Puyallup. As with FIP, it makes college more financially accessible to students by allowing them to pay their tuition and fees in three equal payments rather than all at once. The payments are reduced to two payments when you start course(s) close to the second payment due date. There is a $25 non-refundable enrollment fee due when you sign-up for the plan. A $30 charge is assessed for any late payments.
For more information, please contact the cashier team at Fort Steilacoom at 253-964-6700 or Puyallup at 253-840-8405 or visit the Tuition Installment Plan web page.
Note: If you are taking courses at both Pierce College at JBLM and Fort Steilacoom or Puyallup, your payment plan will be established at the location where you initially register.